| Notes |
- Is he this Josiah Hall? jcw 19.03.2012- http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~nycattar/1879history/allegany.htm CHAPTER on the TOWN of ALLEGANY THE HISTORY OF CATTARAUGUS COUNTY, NEW YORK Illustrations and Biographical Sketches of Some of its Prominent Men and Pioneers Philadelphia: L. H. Everts, 1879 Pages 441-455 Transcribed by Samantha Eastman Feb 2004 This town was formed from Great Valley as Burton, April 18,1831. Its name was changed March 21, 1851. Humphrey was taken off May 12, 1836. It lies upon the south border of the county; it is comprised of townships 1 and 2 of the fifth range, according to Joseph Ellicott's survey, and contains 44,989 acres. It is bounded north by Humphrey, east by Hinsdale and Olean, south by Pennsylvania, and west by Carrolton and Great Valley. The surface is a hilly upland, broken by the deep valley of the Allegany River, which flows from east to west through the centre of town. The hills have steep declivities, and their highest summits are 700 to 900 feet above the valleys. The principal streams on the north side of the river are Five-Mile and Nine-Mile Runs; on the south are Two-Mile and Four-Mile Runs and Chipmunk Creek. The soil is a shaly and sandy loam on the hills, and in the valleys it is a clayey and gravelly loam. Rock City, five miles south of Allegany village, is already famous as a place of resort for parties seeking pleasure, and those wishing to view the grand and picturesque scenery with which the place abounds. There are rocks of immense size, towering up to a great height, and having apparently been sundered by some unaccountable convulsion of nature; there are alleys and streets, and apartments which are roofed over with rocks, one of which rooms is large enough for a party of 25 or 30 persons. These towering rocks, composed of light conglomerate sand-rock intermixed with white, flinty pebbles, are very hard and solid, indented with seams, which have the appearance of having been caused by the beating of storms for ages, or of the rocks having been washed by the dashing waves of a sea which, ages ago, submerged all this region. PIONEER SETTLERS Ebenezer Reed, from Connecticut, made the first settlement in town, near the mouth of the Five-Mile Run, in 1820. Amos B. Orton began the same year, about one mile north from the river, on the lot which has since been known as the Henry Chamberlin place. Isaac Eggleston began about the same time, on the lot which some time after was bought and occupied since by S.J. Horton. Mr. Eggleston removed to the farm below J. Freeland, on the south side of the river. Andrew L. Allen located on the Austin farm, near the present residence of R. Wilber; and David Orton began on the H. Chamberlin farm, about 1820. Wm. B. and David Orton, and Allen joined the Mormons and went to Nauvoo, about 1828. Hiram Wood commenced on the Hall farm, at the foot of Chapell Hill, in 1821. Elias Fish made a beginning on what is known as the Blackmore place, now owned by John P. Phillips, in 1821. James Strong, Sr., began the same year on the place now owned by his son, James Strong, Jr. Abiathar Phillips, Sr., began in 1826, on the lot afterwards owned and occupied by his son , A. Phillips, Jr., and now by Samuel R. Phillips. Deacon Thompson and Wm. And Erasmus Morgan located in Morgan Hollow, in about 1830. Josiah Hall, and Kinyon and Wilber, from Onondaga County, came in about 1833. Wm. Faunce bought out A.B. Orton's place in 1828. Grandison Taylor occupied the place afterwards the Lathrop farm, in 1831. Samuel Bronson was on the Folsom farm in 1828. Deacon Warren began on the Conrad Becker farm, and ----Taylor on the Christian Hartung place, about 1828. John Palmer settled on the north side of the river, in rear of the depot, in about 1830, and remained about five or six years. Wm. Wright began on the James Freeland farm, about 1831. John and Henry Altenburg settled on the south side of the river in about 1835. John Morris came to the Abel Burdick farm about 1831, and Lewis Pryce on a part of same lot at same time. Philo, Luther W. and Cyrus Hall settled on the Two-Mile Creek about 1848. Some time after his settlement, while himself and wife were absent from home, one night, the shanty in which they lived took fire, and was entirely consumed, together with their four children, who had been left at home without any apprehension of the awful fate which awaited them. The father still resides on the Two-Mile Creek, with Joel Hall, his nephew. (Who?? -jcw 19.03.2012) James R. Clark and his four brothers, Barak, Raynor, Sanford, and Alfred, settled here about 1835. James R. began or lived on the place now owned by C.B. Learn. Alfred Clark kept a hotel for some time, and afterwards a grocery-store, succeeded by his son, Calvin G., who still continues the business on Main Street. Other early settlers were Isaac Freeland and his brothers James and Andrew, Abel Burdick, ---- Gleason, ---- Reynolds, Franklin Smith, Reuben Lamberton, Geo. C. Sheldon, Wm. and John Ellis, Jacob Sayles, Josiah Hall, Wm. and Jabez Chapin, Jason Blair, H.H. Janes, W. Parker, A.L. Simonds, Joseph Nessle, ---- Lyon, ---- Morgan, ---- Gillett, ---- Gooden, and Rev. N. Folsom, who married a daughter of ---- Hubbard, who lived on the place now occupied by Leonard Becker. After the farm came into possession of Rev. Mr. Folsom, he built a large dwelling there, and Geo. P. Fuller occupied a part of the house. In 1863 it was entirely consumed by fire.
|